Re: [css3-grid-layout] Issues For Your Consideration

On 3/14/13 6:54 PM, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>Issue 1: Numerical indices for grid-end / grid-after.
>   Should they count starting from the first or last line?
>   See thread at
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Mar/0182.html
>
>   Tab and I think they should start from the first line,
>   so that numbers are always referring to a consistent line.
>
>Issue 2: Negative indices for grid positioning
>   Should they be valid and count from the opposite side of positive
>indices?
>   See thread at
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Mar/0184.html
>
>   Tab and I think this makes sense, especially if grid-end/after
>   count from the start/before edge.

I agree with both of these changes.

>Issue 3: Need better syntax for named lines.
>   Should we adopt the parenthesized idents syntax? Other ideas?
>   See thread at
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Mar/0256.html

I agree that this is an improvement, but still have some misgivings about
how clear it will be to authors. I've replied in that thread.

>Issue 4: The 'order' property
>   Does 'order' apply to grid items?
>   It would affect auto-placement and z-order, as for flex items.
>
>   Tab and I think it should, for consistency with Flexbox.

I think this would be OK, but it's a bit trickier than Flexbox.
Grid-placed, non-overlapping grid items don't really respond to changes in
this property. So I can see some confusion arising when someone sets order
on all of their grid items and sees either no effect or only a partial
effect.

Would the auto-placement algorithm take order into account in any way? Say
I have three grid items in a 3x3 grid, and each is small enough to fit in
any grid cell. I give them order values of 1, 2 and 3. These would
auto-place in the top three cells of the grid. Now I take the 'order:2'
grid item and place it in the center cell. I might expect the 'order:3' to
land in the middle-right grid cell. As I understand the current algorithm
it would actually place the 'order:3' item in the top-middle cell, which
isn't exactly "ordered" in the way that's been specified.

>Issue 5: Grid Terminology
>   Should we switch the term "grid area" to "grid field" and/or "grid
>cell"
>   to "grid unit"?
>   See thread at
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Aug/0063.html
>
>   No strong opinion, would be glad to hear from others.

Either set of terms would be OK with me.

Thanks,

Alan