Re: [CSS21][css3-text] letter-spacing, word-spacing and justification

On Jun 26, 2013, at 11:03 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 06/26/2013 09:56 AM, Alan Stearns wrote:
>> On 5/10/13 7:17 PM, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Part I: letter-spacing: <length> allows justification
>>>
>>> Part II: Add 'fixed' keyword to disallow justification
>>>
>>>     letter-spacing: normal | <length> || fixed
>>
>> I am fine with this proposal, but I think we should take both parts I and II.
>
> That works for me, if the rest of the WG agrees. :)

I do.

>> And we should mention that setting letter-spacing defines a minimum
>> letter spacing and justification can only increase the spacing.
>
> I'm concerned a bit about this, as Japanese justification rules,
> at least, tend to prefer compression to expansion.

Would that be addressed by using negative letter spacing or just less letter spacing than with Latin letters? It would still be a minimum of how much compression was allowed, and would make it less likely to include gaps of too much space.