Re: [css-cascade] Naming "value of a declaration", renaming "specified value"

On Monday 2013-06-24 14:38 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> > On Monday 2013-06-24 14:16 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> >> 2. Drop the term "specified value", and slightly modify Cascade so
> >> that "cascaded value" fills the role.  This just requires us to
> >> slightly change the verbiage around how we handle the global keywords;
> >> currently, the "cascaded value" may be empty or resolve to one of the
> >> global keywords.  We'd change it so that as part of the computation of
> >> the cascaded value, we guarantee that we fill in a value, and resolve
> >> away the global keywords.  (Our current use of "cascaded value" in the
> >> spec is unobservable from the outside, and we can just lean on the
> >> term "result of the cascade" to represent the value that might be
> >> empty or might be a global keyword.)
> >
> > Why do we need a term for the cascaded value with empty cases filled
> > in?  Why not just have the term "cascaded value"?
>
> I'm not sure exactly how to read this question; I get at least three
> possible meanings from it, which all have different answers.
>
> Can you elaborate on what you're asking?

I'm asking why we need a publicly exposed term for what "specified
value" used to mean.  In other words, it seems to be a concept that
might be useful inside the cascade module but is unlikely to be
useful outside of it.  In turn, that makes me think we'd be better
off not giving it a nice easy-to-refer-to term that people are
likely to refer to.

In other words, I'm proposing not replacing the term "specified
value" with anything that's easy to refer to, and leaving the term
"cascaded value" as it is.

-David