Re: [css-compositing] CSS overprinting

I'll chime in on the [css-compositing] track to note that overprinting in RGB is basically the "subtract" blend mode that I suggested incorporating in the Compositing and Blending draft last year:

 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Aug/0653.html

Since then CSS Shaders have made significant strides, so whether these less popular blend modes are eventually included in the spec may be a moot point, but hear me out:

Subtractive blending may not be good enough for approximating what a proper CMYK print of a web page would look like, but it would give CMYK overprint-like effects to designers who already know how to use (and abuse) them in print. In fact, it would be even better because you can actually get pure black with subtractive RGB, rather than the muddy brown that overprinting simulations produce.

At the very least, having subtractive blending would make it much easier to make an SVG tutorial describing why RGB and CMYK behave so differently. ;)

--
Shawn Allen
shawn@stamen.com