Re: [css-regions] ::region() or ::fragment() pseudo-element

On Jun 13, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

> An earlier discussion [1] of the region styling syntax ended with a choice
> between what's currently in the draft
>

> <region-selector>::region(<content-selector>) {}
>

> And a reversal of the selectors, with a change to ::fragment()
>

> <content-selector>::fragment(<region-selector>) {}
>

> I think the latter might be useful for other fragment containers, but I'm
> a bit worried about grouping. One problem with ::region() that¹s been
> noted is that you may want to style a number of <content-selector>s for a
> given region, which will require some duplication to express. Am I correct
> in assuming that some future grouping solution would probably be limited
> to grouping on the left side of the pseudo-element? If that's the case, we
> should probably stick with the current syntax.
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013May/0632.html

I think it is far from clear whether or not "some future grouping solution" would be able to make a difference here, by splitting the parentheses of a pseudo-element onto two lines in order to group multiple different selectors within the parentheses into their own lines between the parentheses. This is the only case where that would be needed, isn't it?