Re: [mediaqueries] User-defined Media Queries?

I love this idea, but is there actually much scope for new *media* queries
to be defined, given the limited information available to the DOM?

I'd argue not, and that the Modernizr / theming use cases may be more
common.

I think there's already a problem with confusion between browser features
and media/device features (e.g. my old favourite: browser supporting the
Touch Events API vs device having a touchscreen). Values set by users in JS
are unlikely to accurately represent a feature of the media.

So how about e.g. `@property` instead?

<script>
document.css.properties.haswebgl = 'WebGLRenderingContext' in window;
document.css.properties.theme = 'night';
document.css.properties.connectedusers = MyApp.getConnectedUsers();
</script>

@property hasaudioapi { ... }
@property (theme:night) { ... }
@property (min-connectedusers:10) { ... }

I'm totally not precious about that name – just that it shouldn't be
`@media`.

This would also solve the issue of name conflicts with future media queries.

Stu Cox