Re: Use of Futures/Promises in CSS Font Face APIs

Thanks. I know what futures/promises are and used them, along with
continuation passing, in Scheme and Lisp programming many years ago. I have
nothing against them as a mechanism for supporting asynchronous programming.

But unfortunately, your article doesn't answer the questions I posed, such
as "which version of ECMAScript will be required to obtain this features?"
ES5.1 (I think not); ES6 (I also don't think so); ES7 (maybe?).

If this is true, then CSS FontLoad and Events effectively becomes gated by
ES7 (or later). Since it appears that use of futures/promises actually
provides ZERO additional functionality to CSS FontLoad et al, this seems
like a very high price to pay (in terms of schedule and implementation
uncertainty) to incidentally endorse a useful, but new (future?) feature.

If this is an accurate description of the facts, then I expect that Cox
will register an objection to a FPWD and subsequent publishing steps that
relies up Futures/Promises. Cox believes it important to get this
functionality implemented and published in an expedient manner and that any
non-trivial delays in schedule caused by use of a future ES7 or later
feature will be detrimental to this goal.

Regards,
Glenn