Re: [css-selectors] Selecting non-element nodes

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:18:11 +0100
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Le 26/07/2013 18:01, François REMY a écrit :
> It's up to the DOM to define that.

http://dom.spec.whatwg.org/#node-tree
"""
Objects implementing the Document, DocumentFragment, DocumentType,
Element, Text, ProcessingInstruction, or Comment interface (simply
called nodes) participate in a tree, simply named the node tree.
"""

Assuming we treat comments as text that default do 'display: none', what
does it mean to apply properties to a doctype or a processing instruction?

> If the DOM had one text node per letter, so let it be. [...]
>
> However, what it means from the layout perspective is that you can
> target an annonymous box that wraps the text nodes or comments node.

This is a very important point! It means that you’re not selecting
individual nodes, but a new concept that has to be defined. How does
this wrapping work? Take the largest possible sequences of nodes with
the same type?

--
Simon Sapin