Re: [css3-images] 'image-resolution: from-image' based on resolution X / Y

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:57:47 -0400
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 15:36 +0100, Simon Sapin wrote:

>      If the image specifies two different resolutions for the horizontal
> and vertical direction, the average of the two values is used:
>      <code>(horizontal + vertical) / 2 <code>
This is pretty much certain to give unsatisfactory results in cases
where one or both values are correct.

Probably you should scale down in one dimension to preserve aspect
ratio, as Florian said while I was writing this reply.

This sort of TIFF image is sometimes produced by fax machines, as
horizontal resolution is more important than vertical for
Western/Latin-script text, but I don't know how frequently one finds
them these days.

Liam