Re: [css3-images] 'image-resolution: from-image' based on resolution X / Y

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In TIFF and JPEG (EXIF), the resolution metadata can be specified as two
> fields: Resolution X and Resolution Y. Although I expect the two to be the
> same (when set at all) in most real images, what should a UA do when they’re
> different? 'image-resolution: from-image' expects a single value.
>
> I think there is no good answer to this, but I dislike leaving it undefined.
> I suggest specifying something arbitrary. For example:
>
>     If the image specifies two different resolutions for the horizontal and
> vertical direction, the average of the two values is used:
>     <code>(horizontal + vertical) / 2 <code>

I didn't realize this was even possible!  We could either allow
image-resolution to take two values, or decide on how to merge two
values into one.

I'm okay with ignoring one of the dimensions, but is there one we
should prefer?  Liam suggests that horizontal resolution is more
important to preserve, at least for images containing text.

~TJ