Re: [css3-writing-modes] Examples of normal, unscaled glyphs work better than width-variant glyphs for text-combine-horizontal

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:15:59 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org, "John Daggett" <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:03:22 +0200, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> The majority of common Japanese
> platform and publishing fonts ship with fixed-width digits (*not*
> proportional!) and the default glyphs are typically wider than 0.5em.
> I did some quick measurements for common Windows, OSX and publishing
> fonts.  [...]
>
> Only the last font in the list had variable-width digit glyphs and
> those are all wider than 0.5em.
>
> So on average for these fonts, the width of two-digit pairs will be
> roughly 1.2em and scaling will occur.

At this point in the debate, I think I have seen enough arguments on both
sides
to form an opinion. This discussion was worth having, as it really did
clarify
the subtleties of what we're dealing with, but I think we should now be
able to
resolve.

I side with John. I believe the other use cases defended by Koji and
Fantasai
can be address by additional controls introduced in a later level.

  - Florian