Re: [cssom] Identifying types and shorthand and unsupported properties

On 7/13/13 8:06 PM, "François REMY" <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:

>± >> As a polyfill author I want to know about unsupported properties. Tab
>± >> made the argument that you could use custom var- properties for that,
>± >> but that would require the CSS author to provide (unnecessary)
>± >> duplicate definition. I wouldn't want this exposed as a regular
>± >> property, rather accessible through a separate list from
>± >> CSSStyleDeclaration. (We will always be "fixing" stuff for older
>± >> browsers)
>± >
>± >This just isn't going to happen, sorry. [it's a waste of memory]
>
>Using custom properties to the same use case would use the same amount of
>memory, FWIW, and certainly more processing power due to inheritance and
>stuff. I'm to use a variable for backwards polyfilling purposes, it's
>very likely I'll add * { property: var(property); var-property:
>var(undefined); } in my stylesheet...
>

>± It's already happened in IE for many, many years. Unknown properties are
>± added to the style object as an expando. So if you have:
>±
>± #something {
>±  foo: bar;
>± }
>±
>± …then document.getElementById('something').style.foo returns "bar".
>
>I'm not 100% sure about that one. I know for sure that if you do <el
>style="foo: bar"> in IE, that works, and also that you can access the
>value at the CSSDeclaration level if it's in a stylesheet, but I don’t
>think the cascade enter in action at any point for those expandos. We may
>want to double-check that.

This example certainly works. The feature is definitely super simple and
for polyfilling it does the job.

>It could be possible to instruct the browser to keep some properties even
>if he does not understand them, as an opt-in:
>
>    @polyfill background-3d-distance {
>        cascade: true;
>        inherit: false;
>        initial: 0px
>    }
>
>That would however only work at a style-sheet level (if you have multiple
>stylesheets, you need to specify this in each one of them, before any
>declaration).
>

>Thoughts?

Well, if this rule can be at the end of all your stylesheets then you'd
better keep all the properties if you don't want to reparse...