RE: [css-shapes] Using the rendered element as image source

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 22:32:46 +0200
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> We've talked before about adding keywords [1]. Your 'from-rendering' is
> actually a next-level feature that we've discussed that could work on any
> element, not just an image (though this has security implications).

Okay, good to hear about that.

>>PS2: Shouldn't "shape-margin" and "shape-image-threshould" be correctly
>>namespaced as "shape-outside-margin" and
>>"shape-outside-image-threshould"?
>
> The margin only applies to shape-outside, so there's no need for
> inside/outside duplication. The image-threshold might need to be split, if
> there are use cases for an element having both a shape-inside and a
> shape-outside, and wanting to use different thresholds for each. My
> thought is that it is much more likely that a single threshold would be
> used with different shape-margin and shape-padding.

It's not only a question of disambiguation but a way to define proper shorthands like: 'shape-outside: image 0.5;' instead of using two declarations. This also mean a 'shape-outside' declaration would reset all options, similarly to how 'background: url(...)' also resets 'background-size' as opposed to 'background-image' (aka align with css conventions).