Re: inline-block baseline when the baseline would be outside of the element

Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> On 7/10/13 11:20 AM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
>>>
>>> PS: I just realized that in Firefox, if I add overflow: hidden;, then
>>> the baseline changes! In other words: the overflow setting affects the
>>> positioning of the box. That also seems weird?
>>

>> From http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#line-height last paragraph:
>>
>>   The baseline of an 'inline-block' is the baseline of its last line
>>   box in the normal flow, unless it has either no in-flow line boxes or
>>   if its 'overflow' property has a computed value other than 'visible',
>>   in which case the baseline is the bottom margin edge.
>>
>> The fact that WebKit does not do that is a longstanding issue in WebKit.
>
> I guess I'm supposed to interpret that as "either overflow-x or
> overflow-y is not visible"...?

It doesn't really matter. It's enough to check one, since it's
impossible to have the computed value of one of them be visible and the
other non-visible.

http://www.w3.org/TR/css-overflow-3/#overflow-properties

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----