Re: [css-regions] restricting flow-from further

On 7/10/13 1:53 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> The flow-from property has until now applied to all non-replaced block
>> containers. What qualified as a non-replaced block container wasn't
>>always
>> clear to everyone, so I had added a note listing some of what's in and
>> what's out (block, inline-block, table-cell, table-caption, and
>>list-item
>> - yes. grid or flexbox - no).
>>
>> The inclusion of table-caption and list-item were a definitional
>> side-effect. I'm not aware of any strong use cases for turning these
>>into
>> CSS Regions, and implementing this just because they count as block
>> containers seems unnecessary.
>>
>> So I've changed the 'applies to' line for flow-from to only allow block,
>> inline-block and table-cell. I've left in the note that what flow-from
>> applies to could be expanded in the future. And I've removed the note
>> explaining what counts as a block container.
>
>I'm okay with the table-caption change, but list-item is nothing more
>than a display:block element that happens to generate an extra
>pseudo-element.  In the Display draft, that's exactly what it is, in
>fact.

Do you have a use case for creating a region chain out of list items? Do
people use lists to create layouts?

Or are you asking me to add an additional caveat that flow-from does not
apply to elements whose display-extras property resolves to list-item?

Thanks,

Alan