RE: [css-writing-modes][naming] Inheritance of text-combine

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:16:49 -0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> > I think it would be simpler to have 'text-combine-horizontal' not
> > inherit. I don't think 'digits' needs to inherit unless there's a very
> > clear use case where this is needed.
>
> We generally try to avoid having unstyled elements change behavior, and this is a behavior
> that makes sense to inherit. For example, making the day, month, and year into links would
> disable digits TCY applied to <date> in this snippet:
>    <date>2012年7月9日</date>
> which seems unnecessary and surprising.
>
> But I'm OK with this temporarily, I think, if we have to. It's better than making 'all' inherit,
> from an implementability standpoint.
> However, at some point we may want to make auto-composition inherit, since IMO that's
> really the right behavior for this kind of thing.

Could you explain a bit more about how "not inherit" makes things simpler? I would like to understand its value.

I know it's still before LC, but we've shipped non-inherit version one year ago, then an author reported that one real content:
doesn't work, and we found our implementation wasn't following the spec change, so we fixed our build to inherit.

So changing it back to non-inerhit will break at least one commercial content, at maximum...I don't know.

Is it more valuable to change than the risk of breaking existing content?

/koji