Re: [css-writing-modes][naming] Inheritance of text-combine

fantasai wrote:

>>> Yes. The 'all' value needs to know what element set it, and inheriting
>>> it confuses the issue. The 'digits' value needs to inherit to work
>>> properly.
>>
>> I think it would be simpler to have 'text-combine-horizontal' not
>> inherit. I don't think 'digits' needs to inherit unless there's a very
>> clear use case where this is needed.
>
> We generally try to avoid having unstyled elements change behavior,
> and this is a behavior that makes sense to inherit. For example,
> making the day, month, and year into links would disable digits TCY
> applied to <date> in this snippet:
>    <date>2012年7月9日</date>
> which seems unnecessary and surprising.
>
> But I'm OK with this temporarily, I think, if we have to. It's better
> than making 'all' inherit, from an implementability standpoint.
> However, at some point we may want to make auto-composition inherit,
> since IMO that's really the right behavior for this kind of thing.

Ok, I see what you and Koji are getting at now I think.  It makes
sense for 'digits' to inherit but not so much sense for the 'all'
value to inherit. In which case, I'd propose letting this inherit (to
cover the example Koji brought up) but define the 'all' value as only
affecting the outermost element to which it was applied.  I really
don't like the idea of creating shorthands given that almost all uses
of this will be for two or three character spans.

Also, there's no 'date' element in HTML5, I think you mean a <time>
element. Given that the date in the example is not in canonical form,
you'll need to have a 'datetime' attribute, if I'm reading the spec
correctly.

Cheers,

John