[selectors][css3-ui][css-ui] Re: Please reinstate the ::selection spec

Updated subject with tags. Response in-line below:

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2013 5:03 PM, "Michael Sheaver" <msheaver@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> Like many others in the webdev/design world, I am very disappointed that
>> the :selection spec was dropped. This is a very useful property to have at
>> our disposal, and I want to bring this to the forefront again. Please do
>> whatever you can to resolve the political and technical issues surrounding
>> this spec, and put it back into the UI. This may seem to be a minor issue to
>> some, but to others this is a very important property that must be
>> implemented, sooner than later.
>
> We'll do so as soon as we figure out the technical problems and get someone
> to shepherd the spec through. That's all that's ever been stopping the
> feature.

I've taken steps in this direction by outlining a specific set of
actions to figure out the technical problems and write spec text
accordingly.[1]

Summary of plan:
* create tests per issues/questions from dbaron[2]
* spec what actually (majority) interops per test in browser impls.

As this feature was originally in CSS UI, and Selectors4 now defers
defining pseudo-elements to other specs, the proposal is to re-add it
to CSS3-UI specified in such a way that the feature is CR-exit ready.
Details at [1].

[1] http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css3-ui#issue-30
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Oct/0268.html

Please let me know if there are any objections or alternative
suggestions for moving forward with ::selection.

Thanks,

Tantek