Re: [css-containment] ED of Containment ready for review (was overflow:clip)

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yup - if it's possible to scroll, then we have to (a) pay attention to
> >> the elements "below the fold", even if they'd otherwise be ignorable,
> >> and (b) paint at least some of the off-screen stuff, so that it'll be
> >> smooth if you start scrolling.
> >
> > That's only true for elements that are themselves visible, or nearly
> > visible. I think we could drop this requirement.
>
> Yes, but still.  The scrolling restrictions come from requests on our
> end.  ccing Ojan for an elaboration on the reasoning.
>
> > I believe restrictions 2 and 3 should be dropped.
>
> Let's let some of the engineers that asked me for this restriction to
> chime in first.

I'm OK with dropping it. As an overflow property, it would have been nice
to be able to implement the clipping purely at paint time, but that's not
needed to get the potential performance benefits to layout and style recalc.