Re: [css-fonts-3] Case-sensitivity of font family names

Jens Meiert wrote:

> I vaguely remember the specs say that font family names are
> case-sensitive. I know empirically, on the other hand, that
> implementations are treating these names case-insensitively.
>
> I can’t for the love of it find where any spec actually mandates
> case-sensitivity though (CSS 2.1 and 3 both seem to be vague
> [1,2])—what do I miss?

Er, how about the section of CSS3 Fonts titled "Case sensitivity of
font family names"? :P

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-fonts/#font-family-casing

Font family names have *never* been case sensitive.  There are all
sorts of quirks in existing user agents about the exact flavor of name
matched but at a minimum ASCII names are always matched insensitively.

Search the www-style archive for the many long and scintillating
discussions of case insensitivity over the past year.

Cheers,

John Daggett