Re: [css3-fonts] font-size-adjust auto issue

On 8/27/13 1:04 PM, "Levantovsky, Vladimir"
<Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com> wrote:

>I like the idea of allowing 'font-size-adjust' use the specific font as a
>value target, e.g.
>
>font-family: Verdana, Futura, sans-serif;
>font-size-adjust: Verdana;
>
>Allowing a specific, predefined font be set as a target will in fact make
>this property easier to use and have much more deterministic behavior,
>but there is always a risk that the font in question may not be available
>on a platform or it may be a webfont that needs to be downloaded first.

True. However, I like the fact that it's way easier to explain and use
than the current property. In most cases it'll work. But when it doesn't
work right, will it really be worse than what you get when your carefully
chosen font-size-adjust ratio goes weird across platforms?

>However, there is one caveat with allowing generic-family names (i.e.
><serif>, <sans-serif>) as value - the results of the adjustment will
>still be unknown. It is an improvement compared to using the 'auto' value
>but a very marginal improvement nevertheless.

True. But if you set this property to a generic family name  you are
explicitly throwing up your hand in the air and asking for a random
result. I don't think we should worry about things getting weird when
people use values that maximize the odds of weird.