Re: [css3-fonts] alternative to font-size-adjust:auto [was Re: Agenda conf call 21-aug-2013]

Le Mer 21 août 2013 14:24, "Gérard Talbot" a écrit :

> Le Mer 21 août 2013 12:23, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>> On 21/8/13 06:49, John Daggett wrote:
>>>

>> ISTM from the recent thread here that the biggest problem with
>> font-size-adjust:auto is that people are misunderstanding what it means.
>> Even experienced spec-readers here seem to easily misread
>>
>> # Behaves just like <number>, except the number used is the aspect
>> # value calculated by user agents for the first font in the list of
>> # fonts defined for the initial value of the ‘font-family’ property.
>>
>> as though it said
>>
>> # Behaves just like <number>, except the number used is the aspect
>> # value calculated by user agents for the first font in the list of
>> # fonts in the ‘font-family’ property.
>>
>> (and then start to wonder what happens if that "first font" isn't
>> available, etc.) Not sure how to make that clearer, but I think we've
>> seen ample evidence that the current text is not communicating
>> adequately.
>

> Why not use the expression "first installed font" or some other expression
> which would be more explicit, which would make things more restrictive.
>
> "first font", "first choice font", "first available font": these 3
> expressions all presume, all refer to the first installed font in the list
> of fonts.
>
> How about:
>
> # Behaves just like <number>, except the number used is the aspect
> # value calculated by user agents for the first installed font in the list
> # of specified fonts in the 'font-family' declaration.

Duh! I got that wrong!! Please ignore my above comment.

The thing is
"the first font in the list of fonts defined for the initial value of the
'font-family' property."
is not immediately or intuitively obvious. It appears as a cumbersome
expression...

§ 3.6 deserves a complete example to illustrate, demonstrate how such
'auto' works or would work in an normal environment.

Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite