Re: [css3-fonts] alternative to font-size-adjust:auto [was Re: Agenda conf call 21-aug-2013]

Le Mer 21 août 2013 12:23, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
> On 21/8/13 06:49, John Daggett wrote:

[snipped]

> ISTM from the recent thread here that the biggest problem with
> font-size-adjust:auto is that people are misunderstanding what it means.
> Even experienced spec-readers here seem to easily misread
>
> # Behaves just like <number>, except the number used is the aspect
> # value calculated by user agents for the first font in the list of
> # fonts defined for the initial value of the ‘font-family’ property.
>
> as though it said
>
> # Behaves just like <number>, except the number used is the aspect
> # value calculated by user agents for the first font in the list of
> # fonts in the ‘font-family’ property.
>
> (and then start to wonder what happens if that "first font" isn't
> available, etc.) Not sure how to make that clearer, but I think we've
> seen ample evidence that the current text is not communicating adequately.

One aspect that I believe affects my reading of the spec is: being a
Linux-user makes me much more aware of (or affected by) availability of
font names listed in font-family declarations. If 90% (or so) of all
webpages are authored by Windows users, then a Linux-visitor of those
webpages would be more/often affected by non-availability of font names
listed in those font-family declarations. So, this may subconsciously
influence the reading or understanding of the spec statements.

Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite