Re: [css-ui] transformed outline interoperability

On Aug 21, 2013, at 10:16 AM, "Florian Rivoal" <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:

> Today during the conf call, we spoke about the interoperability of the outline property.
>
> I've put together a very simple file illustrating an interop problem with regards to transformed elements.
>
> http://florian.rivoal.net/csswg/outline.html
>
> Gecko and webkit transform the outline, while presto draws an straight outline around the transformed element. (I don't know what IE does, as I run linux).
>
> I think the problem with firefox's and webkit's approach is when you start to have 3d transforms. I don't think transforming the outline in 3d is a good idea. It works ok when people use it as a second border, but not when it is supposed to related to focusing.

I think it would be weird and ugly if the outline did not transform in 3d too, whether it was being used as a purely decorative effect or to show focusing. Why should the outline look bizarrely out of place and buggy if I were to tilt the rest of my interface down into a 3d plane? What if I had a very long form tilted into something like the Star Wars opening scroll, with each focus bringing the input close and sending everything above it further away? Presto's approach would just look like a mistake in that case, and I'd probably need to resort to something else to indicate focus (like box shadow).