Re: [css-counter-styles] negative descriptor for Japanese and Korean

"Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote on 2013/08/16 2:43:57
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:52 AM, MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp> wrote:
> > I have a question about the negative descriptor for Japanese and Korean.
> >
> > http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-counter-styles/#limited-cjk
> >
> > Japanese styles have the following definition:
> >
> >     range: -9999 9999;
> >     negative: "\30DE\30A4\30CA\30B9";
> >     /* マイナス */
> >
> > and the Korean styles have the following definition:
> >
> >     range: 0 9999;
> >
> > This seems inconsistent.
> > If "マイナス" (minus) is available for Japanese,
> > why "마이너스" (minus) is not available for Korean?
> > Any problem with the following definition?
> >
> >     range: -9999 9999;
> >     negative: "\B9C8\C774\B108\C2A4";
> >     /* 마이너스 */
> >
> > (Or remove "マイナス" and change the range to 0 9999 for Japanese styles?)
>
> The answer is "because that's what I was told to do when I was writing
> them".  ^_^
>
> If 마이너스 is standard for indicating negative numbers in Korean
> numerals, I'm fine with amending the spec for that.  Just let me know.

In Korean dictionaries
(http://www.babylon.com/define/111/Korean-Dictionary.html)
the following definition is found:

    마이너스
    n. minus, (Mathematics) sign for subtraction or negative value (-);
    lack, negative quantity

This definition is same as "マイナス" in Japanese (both are
transcription of "minus") and I think if "マイナス" is standard
for indicating negative numbers in Japanese numerals,
"마이너스" should be same.

I am also fine with dropping "マイナス" from Japanese styles, because
the Katakana word "マイナス" is not a part of Japanese numerals,
(it is same as English word "minus").
I doubt that negative values for Japanese informal and formal styles
are really needed.

Regards,

Shinyu Murakami
Antenna House