Re: CSS properties for snapping during scrolling

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM, François REMY <
francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:

> > Have you got concrete use-cases where snapping to the margin or border
> edges of an element would not work?
>
> Scrollable lists where you want to allow to scroll not exactly between
> elements but 3% off to enable people to see a peek at the previous item as
> a reminder they can scroll backward.
>
> Or if the content has an inherent padding you cannot remove for specific
> reasons but do not want to take in consideration for the scrolling
> algorithm.
>
> You may also want the content-start to be aligned with something
> positioned externally (so instead of having the left edge of the element
> coincide with the left edge of the scroll box, you may want to have it
> starts at 30px (or whatever value marks the position of the element you
> want to align with).

OK, adding length offsets to scroll-snap-edge might make sense. I'm not
sure I believe in those use-cases enough to do it immediately.

> Actually, what are the use-cases for [snap-lines outside the one defined
> by elements]?
>
> Yes. Multicolumn elements are a great example. You may want to allow to
> snap between any two columns.

That's a great example. However, I think it would make more sense to have a
way to make multicolumn gaps be snap offsets. If we had a pseudo-element
for styling individual columns, you could apply scroll-snap-edge to that
element and everything would probably just work.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*