RE: CSSStyleDeclaration: Setting only a value or a priority

In answer to Simon Pieters (15/08/2013 21:30) and Simon Sapin (Thu, 15 Aug 2013 21:34:34 +0100):

Resuming: Three solutions were mentioned in the discussion, all of which are acceptable to me:

1) Omission of priority argument leaves priority unchanged: Makes more sense than the current behavior. Potential compatibility issues, but the spec until recently required the third argument to setProperty, so there shouldn't be too many users that rely on its omission to have any other effect than to leave alone the default value "".
2) Providing "unchanged" as third argument: clear, but leads to additional string argument parsing.
3) Adding a "setPropertyValue" function to the spec: no compatibility issues, slightly faster, clear meaning, symmetric to "getPropertyValue".

For me it's hard to decide without knowing actual implementations, and it's not for me to decide anyway :).

Peter Sloetjes, Firefox add-on developer.