Re: [css3-multicol] Nested multicolumn elements rendering

Morten Stenshorne wrote:

 > > I've asked Hakom a similar question on July 21st and he answered:
 > >
 > > {
 > > If height [of a multi-column element] is auto, [then column-fill:] 'auto'
 > > and [column-fill:] 'balance' should produce the same result.
 >
 > That's only for continuous media, I think. The inner multicol is kind of
 > in paged media, and my main point is that column-fill:auto is meaningful
 > here. column-fill:auto should only be dishonored if the column heights
 > are truly unconstrained (and even then it can be argued that it's a
 > dubious thing to do; you could still achieve interesting effects with
 > only explicit column breaks).

Yes, it would make sense to honor 'column-fill: auto' even in
unconstrained environments. One can achieve interesting effects, and
one honors specified values (instead of ignoring them).

If so, we would have, I believe:

                                         auto                  balance

continous media, constrained columns     fill                  balance
continous media, unconstrained columns   honor exlicit breaks  balance
continous media, overflow columns        -- property has no effect --
paged media, all-but-last-pages          balance               balance
paged media, last page                   fill                  balance

Does this look right?

-h&kon