Re: [css3-ui] Support cropping in the middle of texts using 'text-overflow'

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 21:33:24 -0400
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>, Kenneth Auchenberg <kenneth@auchenberg.dk>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, "tantek@cs.stanford.edu" <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, "roc@ocallahan.org" <roc@ocallahan.org>
On Mon, 2013-08-12 at 17:33 -0700, Brad Kemper wrote:

> I just can't imagine that there is much need for truncating the start
> edge (ie left edge in Latin scripts), except when the element is too
> narrow to show even a single character on the left. When would you
> ever want "...ilename.pdf" instead of "filen...e.pdf" or

I've wanted left truncation for keyword in context indexes -

  1:n by an intemperate eating of melons, in the 70th year of his age, and (as i
  2:quick growth of mouldiness in melons. He became a fellow of the royal societ
  3:ontained little nutriment, as melons, cucumbers, and vegetables in general.
  4:ge-Trees, with the raising of Melons, omitted in the French editions; made E
  5:with bread, herbs, pulse, and melons, and depriving themselves of all the co
  6:te some directions concerning melons, for the cultivation of which Quintinie

You can get close in some browsers, but others fail, or did last time I
tried.

Liam