Re: [css-cascade-3] Potentially missing definitions and use case for reincluding "default value"

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:

> Le 12/08/2013 18:58, Mike Sherov a écrit :
>
>  I was surprised that "default value" wasn't already documented somewhere
>> (I thought it was), and I think it should be a documented value type,
>> and I love .defaultStyle, .initialStyle, .*style because I think it
>> provides appropriately low-level access. That's just me though :-).
>>
>> If I had my way, I'd keep both: box:none AND .defaultStyle.
>>

> The thing is, "default style" as you describe it is not a thing that
> exists in implementations. It would requires re-running the full cascade
> (but with only UA stylesheets), which can be quite expensive. It’s really
> different from "initial value" which is already there.

Yes, very different from initial. I'm not saying it's easy, and so I get
that we may drop it. As of right now, .defaultStyle only has a use case
that I can conceive of for display:none.

--
Mike Sherov
Chief Technologist