Re: [css3-multicol] Nested multicolumn elements rendering

Le Ven 9 août 2013 1:39, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :
> "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:

>>> Nice. With the inner column-fill:auto you added, though, I wonder why
>>> the inner multicol is still forcefully balanced, testing with Presto.

Morten,

I have split this test into 2 sub-tests:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/Nested-multicol-fill-auto-M-Stenshorne.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/Nested-multicol-fill-balance-M-Stenshorne.xht

>>> It
>>> has a nice known outer column height to fill.

I think you're right. The inner multi-column should be aware of the
available height (4.5em) of each column box of the outer multi-column box.
And so, like you say, it's not truly unconstrained.

>>> Perhaps IE has got it
>>> right,

IE 10 renders

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/Nested-multicol-fill-auto-M-Stenshorne.xht

like this:

  aaa      eee    | iii
  bbb      fff    | jjj
  ccc      ggg    | kkk
  ddd      hhh    | lll

>>but I cannot test that browser right now.

Morten, for IE10, you can try
http://netrenderer.com/index.php
or
http://browsershots.org/

>> I've asked Hakom a similar question on July 21st and he answered:
>>
>> {
>> If height [of a multi-column element] is auto, [then column-fill:]
>> 'auto'
>> and [column-fill:] 'balance' should produce the same result.
>
> That's only for continuous media, I think. The inner multicol is kind of
> in paged media, and my main point is that column-fill:auto is meaningful
> here. column-fill:auto should only be dishonored if the column heights
> are truly unconstrained

Then, there is some vague issue with this in the spec. How and when a
column box height is truly unconstrained. I agree with you that in such
test, Nested-multicol-fill-auto-M-Stenshorne.xht , it should be filled
*_not_* in a balanced manner.

Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011