Re: [css3-multicol] Nested multicolumn elements rendering

Le Jeu 8 août 2013 17:13, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :
> "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:
>
>> Le Jeu 8 août 2013 5:54, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :
>>> "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:
>>>
>> Morten,
>>
>> I've created your test (I have set the inner multi-column to
>> 'column-fill:
>> auto' to make it a bit easier to figure out and added colored borders)
>> and
>> uploaded here:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/Nested-multicol-M-Stenshorne.xht
>
> Nice. With the inner column-fill:auto you added, though, I wonder why
> the inner multicol is still forcefully balanced, testing with Presto. It
> has a nice known outer column height to fill. Perhaps IE has got it
> right, but I cannot test that browser right now.

I've asked Hakom a similar question on July 21st and he answered:

{
If height [of a multi-column element] is auto, [then column-fill:] 'auto'
and [column-fill:] 'balance' should produce the same result.

There are some relenvant discussions around here:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Jun/0106.html
}

and this is the case for the inner multi-column element of your test.

> I would expect:
>
> aaa      eee    | iii
> bbb      fff    | jjj
> ccc      ggg    | kkk
> ddd      hhh    | lll
>
>>> Ah, an opportunity for my daily Ahem rant... :)
>>>
>>> Ahem makes text unreadable! (well, duh)
>>
>> This is in fact a good comment. I think we would be ready to create a
>> customized-for-CSS-test-purposes font where glyphs (of latin alphabet:
>> a,
>> b, c, etc.) would be recognizable and where, just like Ahem font, the
>> descender space, ascender space, em dimensions, etc.. would be entirely
>> reliable and entirely predictable.
>
> That would be cool. I suppose you'd still have to fight with
> anti-aliasing differences,

Yes, that's possible.

> but at least the layout would be
> predictable. And readable. :)

It would ease webpage debugging, test reviewing, etc.

>>> Rather than using Ahem in the test, you could set line-height and only
>>> use explicit line breaks, and not provide any automatic line break
>>> opportunities (avoid white-space altogether, or set
>>> white-space:nowrap). Then it would be easier see the "mmm"s and so
>>> on. :)
>>
>> I'll take into consideration your idea for future tests here.
>> This is how most of the Opera tests have been doing.
>>
>> Morten, thank you again for your extremely useful feedback.
>
> Glad to help, and thanks for taking interest in multicol!

:)

Gérard

--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011