Re: [css3-multicol] Nested multicolumn elements rendering

From: Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 23:13:22 +0200
To: www-style@gtalbot.org
"Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:

> Le Jeu 8 août 2013 5:54, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :
>> "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:
>>
> Morten,
>
> I've created your test (I have set the inner multi-column to 'column-fill:
> auto' to make it a bit easier to figure out and added colored borders) and
> uploaded here:
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/Nested-multicol-M-Stenshorne.xht

Nice. With the inner column-fill:auto you added, though, I wonder why
the inner multicol is still forcefully balanced, testing with Presto. It
has a nice known outer column height to fill. Perhaps IE has got it
right, but I cannot test that browser right now.

I would expect:

aaa      eee    | iii
bbb      fff    | jjj
ccc      ggg    | kkk
ddd      hhh    | lll

>> Ah, an opportunity for my daily Ahem rant... :)
>>
>> Ahem makes text unreadable! (well, duh)
>
> This is in fact a good comment. I think we would be ready to create a
> customized-for-CSS-test-purposes font where glyphs (of latin alphabet: a,
> b, c, etc.) would be recognizable and where, just like Ahem font, the
> descender space, ascender space, em dimensions, etc.. would be entirely
> reliable and entirely predictable.

That would be cool. I suppose you'd still have to fight with
anti-aliasing differences, but at least the layout would be
predictable. And readable. :)

>> Rather than using Ahem in the test, you could set line-height and only
>> use explicit line breaks, and not provide any automatic line break
>> opportunities (avoid white-space altogether, or set
>> white-space:nowrap). Then it would be easier see the "mmm"s and so
>> on. :)
>
> I'll take into consideration your idea for future tests here.
> This is how most of the Opera tests have been doing.
>
> Morten, thank you again for your extremely useful feedback.

Glad to help, and thanks for taking interest in multicol!

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----