Re: [css3-multicol] Test with excessively wide column-gaps

"Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:

> We have hundreds of tests which use Ahem font and correspondent reference
> test files using images. This is the first I hear about what you say. So,
> this is somehow worrisome.

OK, maybe my setup is weird. :)

Can't say I'm too fond of the Ahem font. I try to avoid it when writing
tests. I guess I've seen too many Ahem tests with expectations that not
all font engines can live up to (like now). In my pessimistic mind, an
Ahem rendering can only be compared with another Ahem rendering, and not
with images, filled squares, etc. I usually end up using (inline-)blocks
with a background instead, or if I really have to use text, I just use
the default font, since I don't expect to be able to assume anything
about how Ahem text is going to be rendered (or even laid out), anyway.

BTW, on the computer I use now (Ubuntu something), Presto displays an
ugly half pixel wide vertical stripe between the characters in your
test. There are so many ways to "fail". :)

> Do you have ClearType on or off? Do you use ClearType default, initial
> setting?

I don't think I've changed anything. I don't have access to that
computer right now, so I can't tell you more. I was running Windows 7
with IE10 inside a VirtualBox that runs under Debian. That might be a
clue, I suppose.

> Are you using a color LCD display?

Yes.

> Is the phenomenon still occuring in all/every ClearType Text Tuner
> situations?

I could check.

> If you reset all IE10 settings to factory default, is there still a half
> pixel offset affecting test versus reftest ?

I could try that as well.

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----