Re: [CSS21] table cells establishing pseudo-stacking contexts (was Re: [CSSWG] Minutes Telecon 2013-04-05)

On 04/17/2013 11:28 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>> Combining these two makes me think that, in turn, if cells are to be
>> pseudo-stacking contexts, then either:
>>  (a) the backgrounds of all of the table parts except for the table
>>      (i.e., column groups, columns, row groups, rows, and cells)
>>      should be part of background layer in the pseudo-stacking
>>      context established by the cell, or
>>  (b) none of the backgrounds (not even the cell's) should be part of
>>      the pseudo-stacking context established by the cell.
>
> fantasai and I are fine with option (b).  It's kinda crazy, but tables
> are kinda crazy anyway, and we agree that it's the least crazy of the
> options, especially from an author's perspective.

Followup question, assuming we're going with (b):

If a table cell is promoted to an *actual* stacking context (by e.g.
setting "opacity: 0.9" on it), *then* the cell's background would be
part of the cell's stacking context, right?

Thanks,
~Daniel