Re: www-style Etiquette: reply to all vs. reply to list

On 04/10/2013 09:04 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 3:12 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
>> Le 09/04/2013 18:20, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>>> Also, please observe our mailing list etiquette:
>>> <http://wiki.csswg.org/tools/www-style>.  It's short and easy, and
>>> makes everyone's lives happier.
>>
>> Something that could go into that wiki page: is it useful to hit "Reply to
>> all" rather than just reply to the list? Both in general and in the
>> particular case where the recipients are known to be subscribed. I get a lot
>> of www-style email in double for seemingly no reason.
>>
>> (Sorry if this has been discussed before.)
>
> I just do a generic reply-all.  Occasionally, if the cc list gets
> crazy, I'll trim it, but I rarely bother.

There's some benefits to Reply-All:
   - Less likely to forget www-style in the To: line
   - Less likely to drop cross-post lists
   - If poster is not subscribed, can still follow the discussion.

I usually hit Reply-to-List, because I find accumulated CCs annoying,
but if there's a cross-post, I'll Reply-All.

(Also, no, I don't think this has been discussed before. Not that I
recall, anyway, and I've been here since 2000...)

~fantasai