Re: www-style Etiquette: reply to all vs. reply to list

* Simon Sapin wrote:
>Le 09/04/2013 18:20, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>> Also, please observe our mailing list etiquette:
>> <http://wiki.csswg.org/tools/www-style>.  It's short and easy, and
>> makes everyone's lives happier.
>
>Something that could go into that wiki page: is it useful to hit "Reply
>to all" rather than just reply to the list? Both in general and in the
>particular case where the recipients are known to be subscribed. I get a
>lot of www-style email in double for seemingly no reason.

This comes up every now and then with people asking to be copied because
they are not on the list, or people asking not be copied because they're
on the list. For Working Group participants in particular, when formally
addressing a comment there, needs to be a record that the response has
actually been sent to the commenter; deciding whether to do so on a case
by case basis would lead to mistakes, same with people explicitly asking
to be copied, so I would recommend against case-by-case decisions, other
than trimming overly long CC lists.

People bothered by the duplicates can easily filter them on their side.
That said, the mailing list software could also do this, and there is an
option e.g. in mailman to do so; if there is a critical mass, the W3C
might be persuaded to add it to the software they are using, it's not
entirely http://www.w3.org/2004/10/smartlist.html unmaintained.