Re: [css3-background] "Margins are always transparent" missing

Le Mer 10 avril 2013 17:08, Simon Sapin a écrit :
> Le 10/04/2013 22:48, "Gérard Talbot" a écrit :
>> What's missing is the definition of where background (color and image)
>> are
>> painted by definition and by default, where background painting starts
>> by
>> definition, regardless of background-clip computed value and regardless
>> of
>> background-clip definition.
>
> Sorry, I still don’t get it. The very concept of "background painting
> area" *is* that definition. It can not exist regardless of
> background-clip.

The concept of "background painting area" did not exist in CSS 2.1.
Nevertheless, it was defined in CSS 2.1 via reading §8.1 and §14.2 of that
spec. CSS 2.1 did not have a background-clip property. CSS 2.1 more or
less explicitly defined where the painting started and ended in terms of
areas. In 3 precise spots of CSS 2.1, the areas being painted (and the one
not painted) by background (color and image) were identified, without any
recourse to a background-clip property and without a formal definition of
the concept of "background painting area".

> You can talk about the initial value of background-clip
> as "the default", but it’s really paraphrasing what’s already defined.

Where exactly do you see "background-clip" in the following image or flash
object?

Where exactly do you see "background painting area" in the following image
or flash object?

http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/3d-css-box-model

http://www.redmelon.net/tstme/box_model/

Gérard