Re: Discussing possibilities of a 'CSS-ignore' rule.

I can’t help but repeat the arguments I already gave.

The selectors matched by an element can’t depend on the result of the style applied on it, because that style depends on the selectors that matched it. At least, it can’t using pure CSS. The text color of a “<span>text</span>” with “span { color: blue; css-ignore: external }” is an undecidable problem and browsers, being software programs, can’t resolve undecidable problems.

The use cases that one would like to solve with “css-ignore” on css-ignore should rely on some other mechanism instead, like IFRAMES and Web Components.

From: Ketan Singh
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2012 12:18 PM
To: Garrett Smith
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: Discussing possibilities of a 'CSS-ignore' rule.
Well, my apologies for mentioning the use-case on the first place. I should have come to the point at once.
About the 'potential blocking of popup' issue, the client have ordered the app for themselves, so most probably that's not going to happen, given that they requested for the 'whole experience'.

I'm kind of new to mailing lists, I'm not here to debate on programming ideologies and best practices. I just want to share my thoughts on how we can take CSS forward, and I hope someone could spare a minute for the idea.
I'd insist that you go through my last mail, and let me know your thoughts on it.

Thanks
Ketan

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> wrote:

  On 9/21/12, Ketan Singh <singh.ketan7@gmail.com> wrote:
  > Well, the project is basically an offline app, which is intended for a
  > desktop environment. The client wanted it to be done in that manner, so
  > that they could put in on the web if required. I advised them about the
  > design decisions they could consider, but they are clear about what they
  > want.
  > The popup was exclusively requested by the client. The app has a module

  The popup might be blocked by the user.
  [...]

  > I'm not religious about any single web technology and if I feel comfortable

  Feelings are irrelevant here.

  > with a certain decision, I go ahead with it. Though I obviously try to make
  > use of the newest technologies available,

  Reminds me of a guy who "upgraded" the doctype to a newer version.
  Newer doctype. Must be better. Lets do it. I call this fallacy "appeal
  to new technology". Applies to anyone who served XHTML as text/html.

  because most of the time, the
  > technology's there because its better than the ones before it.
  > I really appreciate your advice, but let's talk more about the proposal I
  > made.

  Your proposal is only justified by the problems that you created using
  your comfortable methodologies. So "don't do that then".
  http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/D/Don-t-do-that-then-.html

  --
  Garrett
  Twitter: @xkit