Re: [svg2] request for review of new SVG properties

Le 13/09/2012 08:30, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Sebastian Zartner
> <sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dirk is right. The CSS specs should be changed to clearly specify that
>> IRIs are allowed. There were already other discussions about this
>> [1][2].
>> A quick test (using one in "background-image") showed that all major
>> browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari) already support IRIs. So
>> I suggest you replace the <url> definition by <iri> throughout the
>> specs and give a clear definition of what it implies.
>
> We're not going to change the name, because <iri> is a stupid name
> that nobody outside some rarified standards circles ever uses.  The
> thing that you use for links is called a URL in common and most
> technical parlance.
>
> I have no problem with clarifying the definition if necessary,
> particular if it's merely to reflect current implementations.

I think that Dirk was not asking to rename <uri> to <iri>, but only
clarify the definition and make <uri> accept IRIs, not just ASCII URIs.
With that, it becomes the same as <funciri> SVG and they can be unified.

(The separate issue remains of deciding what unicode strings exactly CSS
considers a "valid IRI/URI" and what to do with the other ones, but
that’s for another thread, as Sebastian noted.)

--
Simon Sapin