Re: [css3-animation] keyframes and percentages

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 04:20:59 +0200, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> keep in mind that
>
> -20%, 20% { top: 10px; animation-timing-function: ease-out; }
>
> should not ignore the 20% keyframe, but ignore the -20% keyframe

I dont' think this follows from the current editor's draft, or at the very
least it's not at all clear.
"The keyframe selector for a keyframe style rule consists of a
comma-separated list of percentage values or the keywords ‘from’ or ‘to’"
"If a keyframe selector specifies negative percentage values or values
higher than 100%, then the keyframe will be ignored."
I read that as saying that if the comma-separated list contains negative
percentage values or values >100%, the entire rule (selector + block) is
ignored. I suppose it's possible to read it differently.

For consistency with regular declaration blocks, I think it would probably
make the most sense if percentage values outside the interval [0%, 100%]
were treated as invalid and caused the entire thing to be dropped, similar
to the way ":first-child, :foo { top: 10px; }" gets dropped. This is what
the ED seems to imply to me, but as mentioned it's not very clear.

The alternative you describe, which also seems to be the approach taken by
Firefox, doesn't seem quite so consistent, but I suppose it's not too bad.
It would basically be like "div, foo { top: 10px; }" where it's somehow
known that a document can never contain any elements of type "foo".

> also, note the CSS2.1 Errata s.4.3.1 [1]

Thanks, but this doesn't affect the syntax chapter. Looks like it should
have, though, as pointed out in the replies to
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012May/0727.html>.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA