Re: [CSS Intrinsic & Extrinsic Sizing] sizing of absolutely positioned elements

On 10/9/12 5:39 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> I guess I still find the CSS2.1 language confusing: "the containing
> block is formed by the padding edge of the ancestor." That makes it
> sound like the containing block *is* the imaginary block formed by the
> padding edge of the ancestor.

Indeed.

There's an unfortunate tendency to use the term "containing block" to
refer interchangeably to "the rectangle defined as the containing block"
(which is not itself a block in any way; it's just a rectangle) and "the
element which was used when defining the containing block" (assuming
there was one at all; see initial containing block) and maybe a few
other things.

As defined, right now, the containing block is a rectangle.  The other
uses are just confused, to a greater or lesser extent.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-sizing/#extrinsic-sizing is a great example
of this tendency.  I can't make heads or tails of what it's saying.
Especially for cases in which the containing block is the ICB.

-Boris