Re: [css21] line-height, problem?

Le Lun 26 novembre 2012 19:01, Andrew Fedoniouk a écrit :
> Hmm, seems like my understanding of word "minimal" is completely wrong.
>
> Consider this very simple doc:
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14981836/line-height-test-min.htm
>
> At the moment the spec[1] says:
>
> "On a block container element whose content is composed of
> inline-level elements,
> 'line-height' specifies the minimal height of line boxes within the
> element."

Okay, let's talk about your example here. We do not see where
(from-its-top-to-its-bottom) the line box is exactly.

If you set the 'line-height' to be 0.5em on the block, then it will be so.
If you don't set it, it will be by default 'normal' which we know is, on
average, 1.15 times its parent font-size.

If line-height is set to 0.5em (8px) and if it is smaller than content
area (1em == 16px), then glyphs will bleed out of line box: this is what
we see in your example. And those glyphs partially overlap the glyphs of
previous line box. In your example, the upper part of the glyphs of "Next
line" will overlap partially over the bottom parts of the "First line".
The bottom part of the glyphs "First line" will overlap partially under
the top part of the glyphs "Next line"

Please examine this demo:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/line-height-1-unit.html

Also, this one may also help understanding:

file:///home/gerard/Documents/Shieldhost/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/line-height-0.html

I think you have a very good point though: what does "minimal" imply
exactly in such sentence? The word "minimal" initially was understood by
you in a way that is not confirmed and not supported by basic
tests/testing.

Gérard