Re: Any plans to add a method for suppressing white space between inline-block elements?

On 11/24/2012 08:11 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 2:48 AM, Behrang Saeedzadeh <behrangsa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As you know, at the moment, in order to create a somehow readable HTML page,
>> we either are forced to using comments or set the font-size of the parent
>> element to 0 and set it back to 1rem or something similar:

>> --><div>bar</div><!--
>> --><div>baz</div>
>>
>> I think we need a more elegant way for suppressing white space (or any text)
>> inside an element (and not its children) in CSS.
>
> As Phillippe said, the 'text-space-collapse' property, currently
> sitting in Text 4
> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css4-text/#white-space-collapsing>, addresses
> this.

The problem, and the major reason it got deferred, is that 'white-space'
inherits, and for this situation you don't want an inheriting behavior.
We'd need to have two different white space properties: one that inherits
and one that doesn't.

~fantasai