Re: [css3-lists] some comments

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin
<aharon@google.com> wrote:
> Simon Montagu and I went over http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-lists/ and
> noticed a couple of fairly minor problems:
>
> 1. Example 13 ("visual rendering of the effect that ‘marker-side’ can have
> on a list") is rendered differently in Chrome and Firefox. (In Chrome, the
> bullets are adjacent to the left or or right margin; in Firefox, they are
> adjacent to the left or right side of the item text.) Since the example is
> meant to show the rendering required by the spec, we think it should render
> as intended by the spec without relying on the capabilities of the
> displaying browser.

This is only a difference in how browsers currently treat the
interaction of markers and text-align.  It's irrelevant for the
ability being demonstrated, which is that the bullets swap sides or
don't.

(That said, the centering is actually unintended - it's a side-effect
of being inside a <table class='data'>.  I don't think I can get it to
work "correctly", though, in a cross-browser way that doesn't cause
distracting issues with marker placement.)

> 2. Section 10 (Sample style sheet for HTML) currently says things like
> padding-left and margin-right. These obviously only work for lists with
> direction:ltr. These could be fixed by using :dir(ltr/rtl) pseudo-class
> defined in Selectors level 4, except that Lists level 3 probably can't make
> use of things in Selectors level 4. But at the very least a comment should
> be added to the sample style sheet saying what is actually needed.

I can add a note to this effect.