Re: [css-variables] status ?

It's a shame. Actually _each_ property could be shortened, especially non-shorthand ones, e.g.:

    background-position => $bp
    font-family => $ff
    line-height => $lh
    word-wrap   => $wr

Why not just expand CSS variables to use them anywhere?
Or at least not just in property values, but in property names too?

What are exact issues with it (if any)?
Why hardly limit the feature (variables in this case) immediately as fast as it's invented?

Thanks.