Re: RE: [css-variables] Using $foo as the syntax for variables

On Wed, 23 May 2012 05:44:05 +0200, Sebastian Zartner
<sebastianzartner@gmx.de> wrote:

> While I didn't use SASS so far I do not think it will cause such big
> problems. If SASS doesn't adopt CSS variables syntax, it will just
> continue parsing variables in it's own syntax and it's fine. Or it will
> adopt CSS variables and produce less code. The only disadvantage for
> SASS would be one point less on their features list.
> So people using SASS will continue using it and it will work.

Just to be clear, SASS cannot adopt the CSS variables proposal, as
it depends on the cascade to work and can be interacted with through
the DOM, both of which don't make sense in a server side preprocessor.
They can only be implemented client side, in the browser.

SASS can keep its own variables as long as we use a syntax that's
different from them, or keep its behavior under a new syntax if
we pick a conflicting syntax for CSS variables, or drop variables
all together.

  - Florian