RE: [CSS21] shortening inline-height has no apparent effect

What you're saying makes sense. When I add line-height: 0.2; to the *paragraph*, the line box shortened as expected. Boris pointed me to the section in the spec talking about the "strut," which I *believe* is referring to the same concept you're talking about (line-height of the containing block). I'm finding the strut difficult to understand -- it appears to be a zero-width ("empty") em box, with font-size and line-height as set on the block-level container, that is automatically added to each child inline box. So it was the roughly 19px strut that was keeping the span box expanded beyond my expectation.

I *think* I understand...

Thanks also for the CSS3 reference