Re: [CSS21] Overflow/clip and stacking contexts

On May 11, 2012, at 7:04 AM, Simon Sapin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can the 'overflow' and 'clip' properties create a new stacking context, like 'opacity'? If they can not, I have trouble seeing how to implement them while also implementing the proper painting order described in appendix E.
>
> In particular, several steps refer to descendants of a box that creates a stacking context. The overflow and clip properties that apply are not only that of each descendant, but also that of all their ancestors.
>
> I guess that would be possible, but the implementation gets much more complex.

This has been argued before <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Feb/0131.html> and I'm still very much in favor of having overflow create stacking context. I've spent many hundreds of developer hours on making overflow work correctly with accelerated compositing in WebKit, and much of that time could have been saved if overflow simply created a stacking context.

Simon