Re: [css3-text] text-emphasis-position

On 05/04/2012 11:28 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> (12/05/04 21:34), Florian Rivoal wrote:
>> As the spec says, the preferred value of text-emphasis-position is
>> language dependent ('above right' for Japanese, 'below right' for
>> Chinese).
>>
>> Because of that, I think we should also accept 'auto', and use it as
>> the default value. When the language is not known, it would do the
>> same as the current default ('above right'), but if the language is
>> known, it would switch to the appropriate behavior.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> This was previously a complex matrix[1] where there's even differences
> between Simplified Chinese ('below right') and Traditional Chinese
> ('above right'). Given that encoding this logic into a CSS value is a
> pain, I think keeping the current initial value as it is is better. And
> we can debate this at the default UA style sheet level if we want.
>
> My personal opinion is that we probably shouldn't have this difference
> in the default UA style sheet either. Chinese authors don't use emphasis
> dots as much as Japanese authors, and I haven't seen a Chinese book with
> emphasis dots for a while. On the other hand, you see quite a lot of
> emphasis dots in Japanese manga.

I agree with Kenny on this point: the initial value should just be
'above right'. I don't have much of an opinion on the UA stylesheet
part, but that's an informative appendix for a reason.

> The remaining question is whether we should make authors who prefer
> underlining emphasis dots happy by making 'text-emphasis-position' part
> of the 'text-emphasis' shorthand. I have no strong opinion about this at
> the moment.

text-emphasis-position, like text-underline-position, should *not* be
reset by the shorthand, and it is designed to inherit independently
very intentionally. Authors should be able to set this once on the
root element (or set it using [lang] selectors) and let that take care
of the position: if the shorthand resets it, then the author has to
explicitly reset it correctly *every time* they set an underline or
emphasis mark on an element.

I'm rejecting both comments as No Change. Let me know if you disagree.

~fantasai